The new GCSEs in Languages: looking beyond the specs - Teacher CPD
Three major features are at the heart of this course:
- The new MFL GCSEs, which present fresh challenges for teachers and pupils
- The increased governmental focus on the eBacc
- What needs to be done from KS3 and throughout KS4 in order to ensure a strong foundation for further learning
How can teachers best prepare students for the new MFL agenda?
This one-day course will start with:
- an analysis of the new GCSE criteria
- an exploration of the new GCSE specifications and of their implications for planning and teaching at KS3-4
For the rest of the day Martine will investigate how to nurture confident and competent learners from KS3 and throughout KS4 in readiness for the new GCSE.
She will particularly concentrate on:
- how to prepare pupils for the new-style oral tasks
- how to develop spontaneous talk from an early stage
- how to develop writing skills for a final exam
- how to make grammar… work
- how to approach translation
- how to help pupils cope with more authentic resources, including literature
- how to sustain learner motivation
- how to ensure KS3-4 progression and continuity
This course will also enable participants to:
- revisit the Curriculum 2014 requirements for KS3 MFL
- make links with Ofsted expectations
Martine will focus throughout on generic techniques readily applicable to all languages.
Martine Pillette is an independent languages consultant, author and examiner. A former head of languages, she is regularly involved in national and regional initiatives and leads courses on many aspects of MFL pedagogy at KS2-5. She is well known for her clear thinking, her cheerful manner and her realistic and engaging classroom ideas.
Feedback from teachers on Martine's course
Very comprehensive, inspiring and
entertaining with many practical tasks/considerations to take away and share.
All examples were realistic, challenging or easy to differentiate. The
rationale was understandable with good links to GCSE for embedding activities
in KS3 teaching early via demo task).
Martine’s courses are always inspirational and full of practical ideas to enhance teachers’ everyday workload. Thank you!
Brilliant content. I’m grateful for the comparisons of exam boards. Useful, practical ideas which I can pass on to my trainees. Thank you Martine.
This course was really well-focused on providing useful info/activities, and was mindful of the fact that preparing good resources can take a lot of time.
Thank you again Martine for a fully relevant and practical do-able session. The best INSET I have attended in years.