Differentiation, skills and assessment in KS3 and GCSE Geography
This one-day course will focus on developing differentiation, skills and assessment effectively in the classroom to increase rates of progress in geography. Delegates will reflect on their current practice, and prepare an action plan outlining how they will use ideas from the course to improve the quality of teaching and learning in their lessons and/or their departments.
This course will cover:
- Planning – how to plan and deliver lessons in which assessment is an integral part of the learning
- How to create a classroom environment which is inclusive and supportive as well as challenging for the most able
- How to develop greater subject expertise in using a wider variety of resources beyond the textbook
- Understanding how to create progression in fieldwork to support the new style of testing at GCSE
- How to develop mathematical and writing skills in geography from an early stage
- Strategies to facilitate learner skills progression relevant to high-stakes exams
- How to prepare a range of students for a more strengthened GCSE, including differentiation strategies
This course is suitable for:
- Secondary Geography teachers
- Geography subject leaders
David Holmes is a geography consultant, author and examiner. In recent years he has been involved in a number of high profile projects for the GA, FSC and RGS as well as working in an advisory capacity for several of the main awarding bodies. He is well known for his clear yet challenging thinking and for his realistic and engaging classroom ideas.
Feedback from teachers on David's course
I really valued the insight and expertise of the presenter. One of the most informative courses I have been on.
A very useful and thought-provoking course.
A very useful and informative course. Excellent presentation – super to have teaching resources talked through. Thank you!
Excellent course – useful discussion – open, honest and realistic.
Spot on for guidance and lots of really practical ideas and links. Excellent group discussion! Thank you.