Developing Reading Comprehension
Learning to read is one of the most complex skills we teach at school. It is the foundation to academic and life success. This course aims to demystify the complexity of reading, address key approaches to learning and identifying how intervention will close gaps.
- Explore quality-first teaching approaches to reading
- Recognise success in reading across all year groups
- Learn how to structure whole class reading lessons
- Discover new ways to monitor reading comprehension that demonstrate you know your learners well
- Take away lesson ideas that need little or no preparation
- Engage all readers from the less able to the most able
- Understand what the barriers to reading are and how to overcome these
- Know how to intervene with maximum impact in the classroom
- Feel secure that interventions will work
- Develop insights into upskilling your TAs and HLTAs
This course is aimed at Primary teachers, Literacy/ English leaders and Senior leaders in Primary Schools.
There is a particular focus on reading comprehension with a light touch upon decoding.
Delegates will leave with a deeper understanding of how reading works and how to ensure all learners become successful readers.
Mia Sneyd is a nationally acclaimed trainer delivering high quality teacher training. She is a verified Inference Trainer from the Institute of Education- London, and delivers training across Primary and Secondary schools to ensure reading intervention closes comprehension gaps in pupils, and works with teachers and leaders to establish excellence in reading across the curriculum and embedded within high quality teaching strategies.