Raising the grade at GCSE Art & Design
All schools are under enormous pressure to improve their GCSE grades and maximize the potential of every student. You think you’re doing well, but then School Leaders and OFSTED are constantly demanding greater and greater pupil progress at a time when many art departments are trying to get their head around changes to the GCSE syllabus and new grading systems. In addition, our subject is under threat, and we need to show good Value Added at a time when our boys are leaving the subject in droves and under-performing compared to girls.
This CPD course can be linked to your Performance Management and Subject Development Targets. It can help new and experienced teachers consider how best to plan and deliver lessons which ensure all pupils are working effectively and efficiently, in order to get the maximum results at GCSE. It helps you to develop more independent learning strategies, rich in metacognition that result in you doing less and the students actually wanting to do more!
This course aims to help you plan new, exciting schemes of work, raise standards, ensure that you are on course and up-to-date, familiarise yourself with new assessment practice and acquire valuable tips and strategies on creating more dynamic, engaged pupils who are more motivated and in control of their own learning.
This course is for:
- New and Experienced Secondary Teachers of Art and Design
- Heads of Art and Design and curriculum leaders
What will the course enable me to do?
- Plan inclusive lessons that excite and stimulate every student
- Improve motivation and performance for boys
- Develop practical strategies for improving GCSE grades for every cohort
- Develop new and exciting methods of improving drawing skills for all abilities
- Learn content-driven art techniques using metacognition strategies in a supportive scaffolded framework
- Acquire classroom-based, manageable assessment techniques that give pupils a clear understanding of how they might progress and improve
- Improve annotation and artist links to make achieving these vital assessment objectives much more enjoyable.
Paul Carney was a successful Head of Art in a Specialist Arts School for many years. He is an Advanced Skills Teacher and board member for the NSEAD on CPD and a practising artist. Paul is an experienced art consultant who has worked in schools nationally and internationally. He worked on the Expert Advisory Group that wrote the new NSEAD art and design competencies, and his website - http://www.paulcarneyarts.com/ - creates some of the most vibrant art resources on the internet.
Feedback from teachers on Paul’s course
An excellent course – l'm looking forward to making some radical changes!
Insightful and inspiring – a really useful and entertaining day!
This is a very practical and informative course with lots of examples which I will definitely use. Paul is very knowledgeable.
This is an extremely useful and timely course - I have many ideas to share with my department.Instructive, inspiring and delivered with humour.
A well-structured course with a good level of discussion and use of participation.
An Excellent course – reinvigorating – just what I wanted! Thanks!
Very inspiring: excellent, practical, useful handouts and great ideas to take back to my classroom. A great inspiration to change stereotypes and a very refreshing approach to teaching art.