Reaching the higher grades in the new Geography GCSEs
The 2016 changes to the GCSE for Geography present both opportunities and challenges with regard to new content, the increased emphasis on quantification skills as well as revisions in the assessment objectives (AOs). There is also a much more challenging assessment for fieldwork that should not be underestimated.
Come and explore how to nurture confident and competent learners in readiness for the first exams in summer 2018. In this one-day course suitable for all GCSE Awarding Bodies, David will investigate particularly:
- Revisiting the GCSE criteria for geography and what it means in terms of assessment;
- How to prepare a range of students for more evaluative and synthesis-style questions;
- Gain deeper understanding of the AOs and how they are critical within the test;
- The full implications of the new ways fieldwork is assessed, including a review of the models of delivery;
- How to develop greater subject expertise in using a greater variety of resources beyond the textbook;
- How to develop mathematical skills in geography from an early stage in the course.
This course will help delegates take a critical look beyond the information provided from the awarding bodies and to reflect on how to create the best outcomes for both learners and the department.
David Holmes is a geography consultant, author and examiner. In recent years he has been involved in a number of high profile projects for the GA, FSC and RGS as well as working in an advisory capacity for several of the main awarding bodies. He is well known for his clear yet challenging thinking and for his realistic and engaging classroom ideas.
Feedback from teachers on David’s course
I really valued the insight and expertise of the presenter. One of the most informative courses I have been on.
A very useful and thought-provoking course.
A very useful and informative course. Excellent presentation – super to have teaching resources talked through. Thank you!
Excellent course – useful discussion – open, honest and realistic.
Spot on for guidance and lots of really practical ideas and links. Excellent group discussion! Thank you.
One of the best inset days I’ve ever attended; very relevant and informative. Great up-to-date information and teaching suggestions.
One of the most informative courses I have been on. I really valued the insight and expertise of the presenter.
A great day with lots of examples that can be taken away and used in school.
Very useful and thought-provoking especially about AO and the role of evaluation.
Excellent overview of new geographical ideas and focus on GIS.