Outstanding English Lessons - Meet the highest standards for teaching
This CPD course for teachers will help delegates unpick the Ofsted criteria for outstanding teaching and meet the requirements of the new curriculum.
Delegates will consider:
- Why Assessment for Learning often doesn’t work
- The DfE’s guidance on effective marking, planning & data management
- The cognitive psychology of how students learn
- Why differentiation & personalisation can be unhelpful
How do you structure, plan and deliver effective teaching sequences?
This session will:
- Undermine the idea of lesson planning
- Consider how to develop the critical components of English:
- Explore how speaking affects cognition
- Discuss a range of techniques to improve extended writing
- Address strategies to improve reading comprehension
Practical activities to frame outstanding lessons
This session will:
- Consider approaches to planning an outstanding English curriculum
- Demonstrate ways to assess students’ work more reliably and efficiently
- Provide an overview of the differences between learning and performance
- Explore techniques to improve the effectiveness of written feedback
- Explain strategies for preparing students to be successful in linear exams.
David Didau has been a teacher for 15 years, and has run two English departments, as well as being an Assistant Head. He is an Associate of Independent Thinking and is renowned for his practical approach and commitment to sound pedagogy. His blog, The Learning Spy, is one of the most influential education blogs in the world. He is the author of ‘The Perfect English (Ofsted) Lesson’ and ‘The Secret of Literacy: making the implicit explicit’ as well as being a regular columnist with Teach Secondary magazine.
Feedback from teachers on David’s course
I found the sequencing model and marking/feedback elements of the day most useful.
Inspirational! Great day. Very well-informed input with many inspirational ideas.
I want another day! What I need is to use all of this and share with my dept. as it is honest, thoughtful and really focused. Genuinely the best CPD I’ve ever been to – thank you.
Really helpful and interesting with practical ideas. “Gentle delivery”.
Thank you very much. I have many practical/concrete ideas (as well as the rationale behind them) to take away. They will help my students in the ways that matter most! I would highly recommend this course!
Invigorating! Also useful to transfer to History of Art –very relevant, because of high levels of literacy required.
A super thought-provoking day. David Didau was engaging and knowledgeable and I am leaving with food for thought.