Reaching the higher grades in first OCR GCE Geography Assessment 2018
The 2016 changes to the OCR GCE for Geography present both opportunities and challenges with regard to new content, the increased emphasis on quantification skills as well as revisions in the assessment objectives (AOs). There is also a much more challenging assessment for fieldwork (NEA) that should not be underestimated.
Set up your students for success in the summer examinations by attending this intensive day exploring the demands of the three A-level exams being sat for the first time in 2018. In this one-day course suitable for OCR GCE Geography, David will investigate particularly:
- An overview of Papers 1, 2 and 3 to understand expectations, including understanding command words and mark schemes and providing feedback to students
- Responding to data stimulus material to produce effective answers
- The demands of 8, 16 and 33 mark questions and how candidates should approach them in terms of question interpretation, content and evaluative language.
- The format of the Paper 3 exam and a review of the skills being tested.
- Understanding the meaning of synopticity and how to prepare students for it in the exam using different approaches.
- Reviewing experiences of the NEA and managing independence.
This course will help delegates take a critical look beyond the information provided from OCR and to reflect on how to create the best outcomes for both learners and the department.
David Holmes is a geography consultant, author and examiner. In recent years he has been involved in a number of high profile projects for the GA, FSC and RGS as well as working in an advisory capacity for several of the main awarding bodies. He is well known for his clear yet challenging thinking and for his realistic and engaging classroom ideas.
Feedback from teachers on David’s course
I really valued the insight and expertise of the presenter. One of the most informative courses I have been on.
A very useful and thought-provoking course.
A very useful and informative course. Excellent presentation – super to have teaching resources talked through. Thank you!
Excellent course – useful discussion – open, honest and realistic.
Spot on for guidance and lots of really practical ideas and links. Excellent group discussion! Thank you.
One of the best inset days I’ve ever attended; very relevant and informative. Great up-to-date information and teaching suggestions.
A great day with lots of examples that can be taken away and used in school.