Mastery in Mathematics
This one-day course will provide delegates with an opportunity to improve their understanding of mastery in maths, and to consider the implications for their practice. Delegates will complete an action plan outlining how they will use ideas from the course to improve their teaching, and support their pupils in rising to the demands of the new National Curriculum and new GCSEs.
The course will cover:
- What is mastery in mathematics? How can we tell when a pupil has ‘mastered’ a concept? What about ‘mastery with greater depth?’
- The implications for our planning and teaching
- Developing mastery through the use of concrete, pictorial and abstract approaches, including bar modelling
- What about differentiation? How do we ensure that we meet the needs of all pupils?
- What about Ofsted? – understanding what Ofsted expect to see in ‘mastery’ lessons
- How can we address the aims of the National Curriculum and the GCSE using a mastery approach?
This course is suitable for secondary maths teachers, secondary mathematics subject leaders and primary maths teachers.
Helen Blanchard has extensive classroom experience, working with pupils at key stages one, two, three, four and five. Her roles have included mathematics subject leader, assistant head teacher, Advanced Skills Teacher and National Strategies regional adviser for mathematics and functional skills. Since April 2011, she has been working as an independent consultant and Ofsted inspector.
Helen has a wealth of experience of supporting teachers on improving pedagogy and classroom practice, and working with senior and subject leaders to improve engagement and raise attainment in mathematics departments and whole-school. She is accredited by the NCETM to provide CPD in both primary and secondary phases, and has worked with a range of awarding organisations on developing new assessments. Helen is an Ofqual external expert on mathematics qualifications.
Feedback from teachers on Helen’s course
A very informative day. There was a lot to take on board and I plan to make several changes to my teaching as a result.
Deeply considered, very thought-provoking and useful content: a really helpful course.
Lots and lots of very useful ideas for teaching Maths - I will definitely be trying these in my lessons.
This course is inspiring and thought provoking - thank you.
This course covered the topic comprehensively and made it less scary to make the change to this way of teaching.
Fantastic course - very informative and reassuring. I highly recommend it.
Great course and some interesting discussion points