Teaching Islam for new GCSE Religious Studies specifications
This course aims to provide detailed guidance and subject knowledge development for the Islam element of the new GCSE Religious Studies courses.
The revised GCSE criteria require significantly greater breadth and depth of religious and theological understanding. On this course we will explore the requirements of the different specifications, giving comprehensive and detailed coverage of key topics, teachings and practices. Particular attention will be given to an understanding of a Shi’a interpretation of Islam.
Key topics will include:
- Diversity in Islam
- Contrasting Sunni and Shi’a beliefs and practices
- Shari’ah, Sunnah, Hadith, Qur’an
- Divine will and human action
- The six articles of faith in Sunni Islam
- The five roots of ‘Usul ad-Din in Shi’a Islam
- The Shi’a concepts of Immamate and Ahl al-Bayt
- The ten obligatory acts of Shi’a Islam
- Understanding the political context of Islam today.
This course aims to help teachers to:
- Gain a good grasp of the requirements of the revised GCSE courses
- Understand key beliefs, teachings and practices in Islam
- Explore creative learning opportunities for more effective teaching of these topics
- Access relevant resources and teaching materials.
Ed Pawson was a secondary RE teacher for 23 years. He is the former Chair of NATRE (the National Association of Teachers of RE) and currently works as a writer and consultant. He is the author of the Islam section of a current GCSE textbook.
Feedback from teachers on Ed’s course
Some really exciting ideas bringing worldviews into lessons – today has given me food for thought when it comes to planning our new curriculum.
Great to have a chance to discuss the ‘tricky’ theology and share ideas for teaching.
Worthwhile discussions – thank you. There seems to be so much more to teach now at GCSE !
I didn’t know what to expect, but I came away with some excellent ideas and places I can look for to develop ideas/teaching methods. Excellent discussion on controversial issues.
Excellent – just what we needed! Helping to banish my ignorance.
Tremendous amount of content included – will look forward to working through it.
Knowledgeable and engaging throughout – well done! A really useful course.