Boosting success at Foundation GCSE Languages
The new GCSE has brought about increased challenge, including at Foundation level. How can you help your students succeed? Many important features will be explored in this course, including:
- what lessons to draw from the early days of the new Foundation GCSE;
- what challenges to watch out for;
- how to avoid the trap of teaching by ‘testing’;
- how to approach tricky task styles more strategically;
- how to make grammar more palatable;
- how to deal with the new-style, less defined GCSE topics;
- how to motivate students of limited ability.
In addition, Martine will:
- make references to features of the current educational agenda such as ‘evidencing’, Ofsted expectations, and more;
- draw on recent findings about MFL teaching and learning;
- give advice on how to build a strong foundation for further learning at KS3;
- explore differentiation in the context of mixed-ability KS4 classes.
In her usual fashion, Martine will concentrate essentially on activity styles which are:
- - preparation-light;
- - easy to explain to students;
- - readily applicable to many languages and topics.
Martine Pillette is an independent MFL consultant and author and a senior examiner for an international organisation. As well as working with individual schools, she is frequently involved in national and regional initiatives aimed at supporting MFL teaching at KS2-5. She is particularly interested in issues of challenge, engagement and skill-based teaching and learning. She is well known for her realistic and engaging classroom ideas.
Feedback from teachers on Martine’s course
Some excellent CPD – the best I
have been on. It’s very rare that you get new ideas that look very useful and are
easy to implement with minimal impact on workload.
Very comprehensive, inspiring and entertaining with many practical tasks/considerations to take away and share. All examples were realistic, challenging or easy to differentiate.
Martine’s courses are always inspirational and full of practical ideas to enhance teachers’ everyday workload. Thank you!
Really useful content. I’m grateful for the comparisons of exam boards. Useful, practical ideas which I can pass on to my department. Thank you Martine.
This course was really well-focused on providing useful info/activities, and was mindful of the fact that preparing good resources can take a lot of time.