Enriching the Key Stage 3 computing curriculum
This course considers how best to plan and deliver engaging lessons, focusing on practical ‘take away’ ideas to implement into schemes of work at Key Stage 3. There will be a particular focus on programming, to ensure that students are well prepared for final GCSE assessments.
The course is highly practical and delegates will engage in activities that demonstrate teaching strategies that can secure good outcomes relating to the new Key Stage 3 programme of study
This course is for:
- Teachers of ICT/Computing at KS3/4
- Heads of Computing
- Curriculum leaders
Shaun will concentrate on the following aspects:
- how we plan lessons to ensure that we create lessons that are both challenging and stimulating.
- Unplugged activities – fun activities to teach computing fundamentals such as binary and algorithms.
- Reviewing possible programming languages for use at Key Stage 3 ensuring that the National Curriculum requirement to use at least one textual based language. Languages reviewed will include:
- Microsoft Small Basic
- Languages available for the BBC Micro bit
- Lego Mindstorm
- Reviewing some of the alternatives to the PC
- Ardunio - used with a PC.
- Raspberry Pi
- BBC microbit.
Shaun Snowden taught at Kingswood School in Bath, initially as the Head of IT in the senior school, before moving on to become the Director of IT supporting the development of IT in both the senior and prep school; he has spent 32 years in the classroom. Shaun is an associate lecturer supporting students undertaking a PGCE in computer science at Bath Spa University and is leader for computer science at Stonar School.
Feedback from teachers on Shaun’s course
Excellent ideas on how to make the subject more entertaining for pupils.
Simply excellent – a chance to think and discuss ideas.
Fantastic course, fantastic presenter. Thank you Shaun.
Excellent course - good balance between presentations and activities.
The best course I have ever been on and I have been teaching for 15 years. Very relevant – excellent delivery and outstanding ideas.
Really enjoyable; lots of ideas and food for thought.
A useful day: lots of content that was varied and relevant. I’m going to be busy this summer!
Fabulous! Inspiring! Really useful!
I really enjoyed looking at the websites and considering how I could use them in my lesson.
A great course - I learnt a lot and will return inspired.