Teaching Islam and Ethics for new GCSE Religious Studies specifications
This course aims to provide detailed guidance and subject knowledge development for the Islam and Ethics element of the new GCSE Religious Studies courses.
The revised GCSE criteria require significantly greater breadth and depth of religious and theological understanding. On this course we will explore the requirements of the different specifications, giving comprehensive and detailed coverage of key topics, teachings and practices.
Key topics will include:
- Introduction to ethics in Islam: Sunni and Shi’a; how do Muslims make moral decisions?
- Practical ethics: issues such as divorce, gender equality, purity, sanctity of life, abortion, attitudes to the environment, punishment, social justice, human rights
- Perfecting exam technique: how to plan a good answer
This course aims to help teachers to:
- Gain a good grasp of the requirements of the revised GCSE courses
- Understand key beliefs and ethical teachings in Islam
- Explore creative learning opportunities for more effective teaching of these topics
- Access relevant resources and teaching materials.
Ed Pawson was a secondary RE teacher for 23 years. He is the former Chair of NATRE (the National Association of Teachers of RE) and currently works as a writer and consultant. He is the author of the Islam section of a current GCSE textbook.
Feedback from teachers on Ed’s course
Great to have a chance to discuss the ‘tricky’ theology and share ideas for teaching.
The sharing of resources was really, really helpful. It
made me feel much more confident in my teaching.
I didn’t know what to expect, but I came away with some excellent ideas and places I can look to develop ideas/teaching methods. Excellent discussion on controversial issues.
Tremendous amount of content included – will look forward to working through it.
Thank you for a really informative and helpful day with
great ideas for activities and a chance to connect with other teachers.
Knowledgeable and engaging throughout – well done! A really useful course.
A fantastic day – so helpful and enjoyable. Thanks, Ed.
Cost: £165 per delegate which includes lunch and resources; £199 for 2 teachers from the same school booking on this course
The information below will be used solely to process your booking. You can see further information on our privacy statement here.