Achieving outstanding outcomes for all pupils through outstanding questioning
In recent years Ofsted have
distanced themselves from advocating any specific teaching methodology they
expect to see in lessons. Yet,
is explicitly referred to in the grade criteria for ‘outstanding’ under the
Quality of Teaching, Learning and Assessment: “They (teachers) use
questioning highly effectively …”
Rightly so. To extend, deepen or even re-structure pupils’ learning, teachers must ask questions that stimulate thinking. The more effective our questions, and how we ask them, the better our pupils’ progress.
This course prompts teachers to reflect on existing practice and provides them with a range of practical ideas and techniques to enhance their own and colleagues’ questioning skills.
Who will benefit?
This course is suitable for teachers and school leaders from secondary, primary and FE colleges aiming to raise pupil achievement through effective questioning and dialogue.
This course seeks to help you
- Plan effectively for questioning
- Strengthen questions to encourage deeper thinking
- Differentiate questions to ensure all pupils are appropriately challenged
- Develop a more dialogic classroom
- Manage the classroom environment effectively to secure the impact of questioning on learning
- Confidently identify and develop aspects of questioning to improve your own classroom practice and that of others
- The essential role of questioning to maximise learning, progress and achievement
- How to improve the questions you ask
- How to improve the questioning environment and encourage students to engage in dialogue and ask their own questions
to monitor, evaluate and improve yours and others’ questioning skills
David Nicholls is an independent Consultant, with a wealth of experience as an AST, Subject Leader and MFL Consultant for a LA. He has a proven track record of supporting teachers and senior leaders across the South West, delivering well-received training on a range of topics, running networks and working in schools with individual departments and classroom teachers. He is Ofsted-trained and experienced in conducting lesson observations and giving feedback through coaching.
Feedback from teachers on David’s courses
Everything was brilliant – so much to take on board and I
already have a wealth of new activities to put in place tomorrow.
Great! Loads of useful, practical stuff.
Excellent ideas; lots to try out – can be adapted for all abilities.
Thank you. I found the practical ideas really good and look forward to sharing with my school.
Very useful. Great to get the opportunity to reflect and share good practice.
Cost: £250 per delegate which includes lunch and resources; £299 for 2 teachers from the same school booking on this course
The information below will be used solely to process your booking. You can see further information on our privacy statement here.