Secondary Mandarin Up-skilling Level 1 Course - Teacher CPD
Our up-skilling course is for secondary language teachers who wish to acquire a third or fourth language. The course takes into account the fact that delegates already have advanced language learning skills, understand grammatical structures and wish to fast-track their learning. This CPD course is for language teachers with no previous knowledge of Mandarin Chinese.
This course focuses on:
- confidence in basic conversational Mandarin
- pronunciation, pinyin (standard romanisation) and the tone system
- speaking and listening skills
- reading and writing Chinese characters
- grammatical structures
- acquiring vocabulary and structures aligned to the Key Stage 3 curriculum
- teaching resources currently available
Delegates will also receive one year’s subscription to The Chairman’s Bao [TCB]. This will be used by delegates as 'homework' between their 3 day-training sessions: the materials can also be used once delegates have completed the course, to 'brush up' on Chinese skills. TCB is the most comprehensive online Chinese news-based learning resources for beginners to post-advanced level of study. A summary of the key benefits include:
- 1,600 news-based lessons each year and a library of over 2,500 lessons across HSK levels 1-6+
- Full synchronisation across platforms – website, iOS and Android apps
- Interactive live dictionary (activated by highlighting/clicking words)
- Stroke order animation and character writing testing tools
- Simplified and traditional characters
- Clear grammatical explanations and idioms
- Graded spoken audio and keywords
- Support with reading, writing and listening
- Learn about Chinese culture, history and more.
We also offer a level 2 course as a follow-up to the above or for those teachers who already have a basic knowledge of Mandarin.
Dr. Theresa Munford: BA (Hons) Chinese Durham University: diploma in Chinese Nanjing University: PRC, PhD Chinese History Australian National University: PGCE Secondary Roehampton Institute.
Prior to teaching in schools, Theresa worked and studied in Asia for many years: she has taught Mandarin across the age ranges, and has mentored and trained teachers at Primary and Secondary level. A regular speaker at conferences for teachers of Chinese, Theresa has helped develop resources and has been involved in the steady growth of Chinese as a school curriculum subject over the last decade.
She believes strongly that Mandarin Chinese is an accessible language; that the spoken language can be taught efficiently and effectively; and that technology has enabled non-native speakers to attain levels of literacy in Chinese that in the past would have required many years of study.
Feedback from teachers on Theresa's course
The course content and Theresa were both excellent. I would recommend this to any language teacher who wants to teach Mandarin.
Excellent idea to have link-global on-line classroom as part of the package.
A very thorough, enjoyable and brilliant course.
This course has taken me from no knowledge of Mandarin to feeling confident I will be able to teach it at KS3 in September.
I thoroughly enjoyed learning Mandarin with Theresa. A fast paced course but Theresa always made sure we were ready to move onto the next grammar point.
It was fun (and a little daunting) being a learner again, but Theresa was excellent and the atmosphere in the classroom was very supportive. I have learnt a lot of ideas which I can apply to my other languages as well.
Cost: £495 (for 3 days) which includes lunch, resources and one year subscription to online learning
The information below will be used solely to process your booking. You can see further information on our privacy statement here.