How strong is your KS3? A fresh look at KS3 in the context of the new Ofsted agenda
Now that the new GCSEs and A levels are up and running, the limelight is moving to Key Stage 3. What is the context for this?
- A strong Key Stage 3 is crucial for effective transition from KS2 and for success at KS4.
- The report ‘Key stage 3: the wasted years?’ (Ofsted, 2015) deplores the lack of focus on KS3 in many schools, and Ofsted are highly critical of the adoption of a two-year KS some schools.
- The review ‘Modern foreign languages pedagogy review’ (Teaching Schools Council, 2016) makes important recommendations – with a strong focus on KS3.
- Ofsted have selected MFL as one of the secondary subject areas to be investigated.
- The 2019 Ofsted inspection framework will concentrate less on ‘jumping through a series of accountability hoops’ and more on ‘looking underneath the bonnet to be sure that a good quality education (…) is not being compromised’.
So, how might you strengthen KS3 MFL? This course will concentrate particularly on:
- National Curriculum expectations demystified
- KS3 MFL weaknesses identified by recent research
- Joined-up thinking between learner motivators and the MFL agenda
- What really makes a difference in the classroom… and what doesn’t
- How assessment can truly support learning
- The pitfalls of treating KS3 as a KS4 rehearsal
- Two-year or three-year KS3: implications for planning
- Useful pointers for revising schemes of work
- Minimal teacher preparation, maximal impact.
Martine Pillette is an independent MFL consultant and author and a senior examiner for an international organisation. As well as working with individual schools, she is frequently involved in initiatives aimed at supporting MFL teaching at KS2-5. She is particularly interested in issues of challenge, engagement and skill-based teaching and learning. She is well known for her realistic and engaging classroom ideas.
Feedback from teachers on Martine’s course
Another very engaging session Martine, with lots of really practical ideas to take into the classroom – thank you!
Excellent, motivating session – as always. Thank you!
Martine’s courses have always been excellent & very informative, giving us ideas and boosting our creativity. A real pleasure! Many thanks.
Lots of practical ideas (with very little preparation!!) which can be quickly and easily implemented.
Martine is inspiring. Thanks for so many fab ideas!
Thank you so much – really excellent course, as all Martine’s are!
Martine had a lovely, clear manner and taught us at the perfect pace. She was very enthusiastic and humorous throughout the course, which made it all the more enjoyable. Merci beaucoup!