Lessons Learnt: Islam and Ethics for GCSE Religious Studies
This course aims to provide detailed guidance and subject knowledge development for the Islam and Ethics element of the new GCSE Religious Studies courses.
The revised GCSE criteria require significantly greater breadth and depth of religious and theological understanding. On this course we will explore the requirements of the different specifications, giving comprehensive and detailed coverage of key topics, teachings and practices.
Key topics will include:
- Introduction to Islam: Sunni and Shi’a, diversity in Islam
- Ethics in Islam: how do Muslims make moral decisions, what is Shari'ah Law
- Practical ethics: issues such as family, marriage, divorce, gender equality, punishment, social justice, human rights
- Perfecting exam technique: how to plan a good answer
This course aims to help teachers to:
- Gain a good grasp of the requirements of the revised GCSE courses
- Understand key beliefs and ethical teachings in Islam
- Explore creative learning opportunities for more effective teaching of these topics
- Access relevant resources and teaching materials.
Ed Pawson spent 23 years as a secondary RE teacher, most recently as subject leader in a successful and popular RE department. He currently works as an educational adviser and consultant, contracting to the Diocese of Exeter and as adviser to Devon SACRE. He is on the National Association of Teachers of RE (NATRE) national executive, having been Chair for 6 years. He is a member of the Board of the Religious Education Council (REC) and he is the Project Director for the Learn, Teach, Lead RE programme in West of England (Somerset, Bristol and Swindon). He is passionate about the way in which RE can offer young people a unique opportunity to develop skills such as critical evaluation and dialogue. He believes that, at its best, religious education enables young people become more inquisitive, reflective and engaged learners.
Feedback from teachers on Ed’s courses
The sharing of resources was really, really helpful. It made
me feel much more confident in my teaching.
Thank you for reminding me why RE is such a fab subject & the variety of opportunities available to us.
Thank you for a really informative and helpful day with great ideas for activities and a chance to connect with other teachers.
Knowledgeable and engaging throughout!
Cost: £165 per delegate which includes lunch and resources; £199 for 2 teachers from the same school booking on this course
The information below will be used solely to process your booking. You can see further information on our privacy statement here.