KS4 MFL – How to Boost Success at Foundation GCSE
Why this course?
The new Foundation GCSE has brought about increased challenge across the whole grade range.
- The eBacc targets set by the DfE mean that the percentage of students continuing with MFL post-KS3 is now increasing.
- Exam Boards recommend entering borderline GCSE candidates for Foundation Tier rather than Higher Tier.
- The wide range of abilities in some exam classes makes GCSE preparation particularly challenging.
Aiming high at Foundation GCSE
With a strong focus on grades 4-5, Martine will concentrate particularly on the following features:
- Lessons to be drawn from the new GCSE so far;
- The less visible challenges to watch out for (all skill areas);
- How to avoid the trap of endless teaching by ‘testing’;
- More strategic approaches to the trickier GCSE task styles;
- Time savers: how to make GCSE practice tasks go further;
- How to deal with GCSE topics now that they are more loosely defined;
- How much content?!? Common sense approaches to knowledge acquisition;
- Grammar: the how-to of ‘Understand it, use it, integrate it’;
- Mixed-ability KS4 classes: manageable differentiation techniques;
- Links to the wider educational agenda (evidencing, Ofsted, etc.);
- Thinking backwards: key implications for KS3.
A teacher-friendly course
In her usual fashion, Martine will concentrate essentially on activity styles which:
- demand little preparation;
- are easy to explain to students;
- are easy to slot into lessons;
- are readily applicable to a variety of languages and topics.
Martine Pillette is an independent MFL consultant and author and a senior examiner for an international organisation. As well as working with individual schools to help MFL departments review aspects of their practice, Martine is frequently involved in initiatives aimed at supporting MFL teaching at KS2-5. She is well known for her realistic and engaging classroom ideas and for helping teachers find manageable ways of tackling the forever changing curriculum agenda.is an independent MFL consultant and author and a senior examiner for an international organisation. As well as working with individual schools, she has frequently involved in initiatives aimed at supporting MFL teaching at KS2-5. She is particularly interested in issues of challenge, engagement and skill- based teaching and learning. She is well known for her realistic and engaging classroom ideas.
Feedback from teachers on Martine’s courses
Another very engaging session Martine, with lots of really practical ideas to take into the classroom – thank you!
Excellent, motivating session – as always. Thank you!
Martine’s courses have always been excellent & very informative, giving us ideas and boosting our creativity. A real pleasure! Many thanks.
Lots of practical ideas (with very little preparation!!) which can be quickly and easily implemented.
Martine is inspiring. Thanks for so many fab ideas!
Thank you so much – really excellent course, as all Martine’s are!
Martine had a lovely, clear manner and taught us at the perfect pace. She was very enthusiastic and humorous throughout the course, which made it all the more enjoyable. Merci beaucoup!
Cost: £185 per delegate which includes lunch and resources; £250 for 2 teachers from the same school booking on this course
The information below will be used solely to process your booking. You can see further information on our privacy statement here.