GCSE Geography: Developing literacy, thinking and fieldwork skills
This conference will be online:-
- Speaker presenting via Adobe Connect, accompanied by slides and activities
- Opportunities for delegate questions and comments
- A recording of the event will be made available after the course, along with further materials
Join experienced David Holmes for a reflective experience around how literacy, thinking skills and fieldwork can all be better managed to improve outcomes for GCSE geography students. This is a chance to work with colleagues and consider performance and areas of both strengths and weakness.
In this online course suitable for all GCSE Awarding Bodies, David will:
- Look at performance across the full range of questions styles, including skills questions and essay questions.
- Improving literacy and geographical writing, based on ideas from Isabel Beck, Alex Quigley and David Didau
- Strengthening geographical thinking skills - maps, photos, and using other AO3-style resources
- Reviewing options for KS3 and how that feeds into better learners at GCSE
- Think about how candidates performed in the fieldwork assessments and how fieldwork can be planned to improve performance
Session 1 : 10.00am - 11.15am (1.25 hours)
- Understanding assessment and reasons for different outcomes for GCSE Geography.
- Reviewing data, taking into account mark tariff, question demand and AO weighting.
- Looking at variations across cohorts
- Understanding the need to “gap-fill” topics and skills
Session 2 : 11.45am - 1.00pm (1.25 hours)
- “Mind the Gap” – language and literacy strategies for GCSE Geography
- Strengthening AO3 and AO4 skills
- Understanding the particular demands of GCSE Fieldwork
Session 3 : 2.00pm - 3.15pm (1.25 hours)
- Moving forward – reviewing the strategies for developing better geographers
- Examining different approaches to KS3 – what is the best model?
- Planning a KS4 – content “light”. How can it be achieved?
- Review and looking to the future
David Holmes is a geography consultant, author and senior examiner. In recent years he has been involved in a number of high profile projects for the GA, FSC and RGS as well as working in an advisory capacity for several of the main awarding bodies. He also works for several of the UKs system-leader MATs in an advisory capacity. He is well known for his clear yet challenging thinking and for his realistic and engaging classroom ideas.
Feedback from teachers on David’s courses
Really helpful – wide range of issues and topics covered. Excellent resources.
Another really useful experience - the third I have attended by David - sensible, thoughtful guidance and always very engaging.
Enlightening as always, many thanks.
A very good course with lots of useful discussion & ideas - thank you.
A really useful event - lots to take back to my department.
Cost: £250 per delegate which includes resources; £299 for 2 teachers from the same school booking on this course
The information below will be used solely to process your booking. You can see further information on our privacy statement here.