Developing outstanding teachers and leaders through outstanding coaching
This conference will be online:-
- David is presenting via webcam, accompanied by slides and activities
- Opportunities for delegate questions and comments
- A copy of the slides will be made available after the course, along with further materials
This is a one day course split over Thursday 1st and Thursday 8th July, running at 4pm to 6.30pm on both days
Schools with a strong coaching ethos inspire all classroom teachers to raise their practice to new levels.
Middle leaders increase their skills in leading and managing teams, and senior leaders strengthen their overview and vision for the school.
Coaching is the one form of CPD that can deliver most effectively all 5 criteria of the 2016 DfE Standard for Teachers’ Professional Development.
A 2015 review by the Teacher Development Trust concluded that “professional development opportunities that are carefully designed and have a strong focus on pupil outcomes have a significant impact on student achievement.” *
Whether you are new to coaching or have practised it for some time, this course takes a fresh look at coaching in schools. Novices will learn and practise the fundamental skills required to coach well, while experienced coaches will be able to improve and enhance their current practice.
This course is aimed at classroom teachers and school leaders from all educational settings.
The two sessions are intended to be practical and interactive.
- In session 1 you will have guided opportunities to practise and reflect on key coaching skills in pairs and groups.
- In session 2 you will have the chance to practise a full 20-30 minute coaching dialogue with a fellow delegate. This will be supported by your trainer.
The Principles of Coaching - 0h45
- What coaching is, and what it isn’t
- Benefits of coaching and evidence of impact on professional development
The Skills and Attributes of an Effective Coach - 1h45
- Developing key but deceptively simple skills: listening, questioning, offering feedback
- Refining your coaching techniques – do’s and don’ts, tips and suggestions, further ideas
Between sessions 1 + 2, delegates may wish to conduct a personal skills audit. Where are you now? Which skills do you wish to develop? How might you do this?
Coaching Models and Structures - 1h15
- Structuring a coaching conversation
- 1:1 coaching practical – coaching a fellow delegate on a real work-related issue
- Potential issues to be aware of during a coaching conversation
Developing a sustainable coaching programme - 1h15
- Different structures to suit different ends – pros and cons
- Responsibilities and accountabilities
- Monitoring and measuring impact
- Pitfalls and solutions – reasons why coaching may not always deliver
* Teacher Development Trust: “Developing Great Teaching: Lessons from the international reviews into effective professional development”, 2015
David Nicholls is an independent Consultant, with a wealth of experience as an AST, Subject Leader and MFL Consultant for a LA. He has a proven track record of supporting teachers and senior leaders across the South West, delivering well-received training on a range of topics, running networks and working in schools with individual departments and classroom teachers. He is Ofsted-trained and experienced in conducting lesson observations and giving feedback through coaching.
Feedback from teachers on David's courses
A great day! Lots of information. It will be nice to have a follow-up session to feedback on what action has been taken back at school. I have gone home wanting to be coached and wanting to be a coach.
The quality of the resources and handouts were excellent.
This course was very well-delivered and offered me a considerable number of areas to develop.
A really helpful training session. I am keen to try putting some of this into practice in my teaching.
Excellent speaker; engaging, well thought-through and focused activities.
Cost: £250 per delegate; £299 for 2 teachers from the same school booking on this course
The information below will be used solely to process your booking. You can see further information on our privacy statement here.