Developing outstanding teachers and leaders through outstanding coaching
Schools with a strong coaching ethos at the heart of their CPD programme appear to be the ones most likely to be judged ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted. Good coaching enables all classroom teachers to raise their practice to new levels. Middle leaders increase their skills in leading and managing their teams. Senior leaders strengthen their overview and vision for the school.
Coaching is the one form of CPD that can deliver most effectively all 5 criteria of the new Standard for Teachers’ Professional Development (DfE 2016).
Whether you are new to coaching or have practised it for some time, this course takes a fresh look at coaching in schools. Novices will learn and practise the fundamental skills required to coach well, while experienced coaches will be able to improve and enhance their current practice.
This course is aimed at classroom teachers and school leaders from all educational settings. The day is intended to be practical, interactive and flexible to meet delegates’ specific needs.
Session 1: The Principles of Coaching
- What coaching is, and what it isn’t
- Why coaching is a highly effective form of CPD
- Evidence of impact on professional development
Session 2: The Skills and Attributes of an Effective Coach
- Developing the key but deceptively simple skills of listening, questioning and offering feedback
- Have a go – practice session
- Conducting a personal skills audit – where are you now, how do you improve?
- Refining your coaching techniques:
- Big do’s and don’t’s
- Useful tools to help move people on
Session 3: Coaching Models and Structures
- Structuring a coaching conversation
- Different coaching models to suit different ends – pros and cons
- Developing a sustainable whole school programme
- Responsibilities and accountabilities
- Strategies to monitor and measure impact
Session 4: Pitfalls and solutions. Action planning
- Reasons why coaching sometimes does not deliver – solutions
- Action planning – taking it all back to school.
David Nicholls is an independent Consultant, with a wealth of experience as an AST, Subject Leader and MFL Consultant for a LA. He has a proven track record of supporting teachers and senior leaders across the South West, delivering well-received training on a range of topics, running networks and working in schools with individual departments and classroom teachers. He is Ofsted-trained and experienced in conducting lesson observations and giving feedback through coaching.
Feedback from teachers on David’s course
A great day! Lots of information. It will be nice to have a follow-up session to feedback on what action has been taken back at school. I have gone home wanting to be coached and wanting to be a coach.
The quality of the resources and handouts were excellent.
This course was very well-delivered and offered me a considerable number of areas to develop.
A really helpful training session. I am keen to try putting some of this into practice in my teaching.
Excellent speaker; engaging, well thought-through and focused activities.
Cost: £250 per delegate which includes lunch and resources; £299 for 2 teachers from the same school booking on this course
The information below will be used solely to process your booking. You can see further information on our privacy statement here.