Teaching Buddhism for new A level Religious Studies specifications
This course aims to provide detailed guidance and subject knowledge development for the Buddhism element of the new A level Religious Studies courses.
Key topics will include:
- Key differences between Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism
- Mahayana schools, texts and philosophies such as Madhyamaka and Yogacara
- Arhats, Buddhas and Bodhisattvas in Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism
- Pure Land: Amitabha Buddha
- Buddhism and Gender
This course aims to help teachers to:
- Gain a good grasp of the requirements of the revised A level courses
- Understand key beliefs, teachings and practices in Buddhism
- Explore creative learning opportunities for more effective teaching
- Identify the areas which are likely to pose the need for further research and resourcing, with a particular focus on Mahayana
- Access relevant resources and teaching materials.
Professor Denise Cush is Emeritus Professor of Religion and Education, Bath Spa University'. She specialises in Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity and alternative spiritualities, as well as religious education. She was a member of the Commission on Religious Education 2016-18, and Deputy Editor of the British Journal of Religious Education from 2011-2018. She has also taught Religious Studies in a sixth form college, and trained both primary and secondary teachers of religious education. She is the author of the textbook for A level 'Buddhism, a Student's Approach'.
Ed Pawson spent 23 years as a secondary RE teacher and subject leader, specialising in teaching Buddhism, Ethics and Philosophy of Religion at A level. He currently works as an educational adviser and Programme Director for LTLRE. He is the former chair of NATRE and a member of the Board of the REC.
Feedback from teachers on Denise and Ed’s course
Great course. Denise's expertise is fantastic - thanks so much for putting it on.
I found the session on Buddhism and gender very helpful and it was good to be able to network with other schools.
Many thanks for all your efforts and rewarding day!
Fantastic presentations - really accessible and reassuring to know we've been teaching it correctly!
Pitched well – great for people immersed in teaching Buddhism.
Very interesting and useful … stimulating lots of thoughts.
A most enjoyable, thoughtful and engaging course. Thank you.
Cost: £250 per delegate which includes lunch and resources; £299 for 2 teachers from the same school booking on this course
The information below will be used solely to process your booking. You can see further information on our privacy statement here.