Leading Literacy to Outstanding
This course will be online:-
- Raj is presenting via webcam, accompanied by slides and activities
- Opportunities for delegate questions and comments
- A copy of the slides will be made available after the course, along with further materials
Date change: This is a one day course split over two days; Tuesday 23rd November & Tuesday 30th November - 12.30pm to 3pm on both dates.
This course shares the transformational literacy journey of a school. It will cover the implementation of practical strategies to help pupils improve their literacy confidence and competence in the 11-19 phase. You will explore the leadership of literacy in schools and making the most of inspection. The course will encourage you to link literacy, learning and leadership in your school.
The two half webinars focus on leadership, practical classroom approaches that you and your colleagues can try immediately and the tracking of students to demonstrate the impact of literacy across the school.
In this course, you will consider:
- What makes outstanding literacy
- What does the education inspection framework say about literacy
- How to include our subject colleagues and all support staff
- How to develop an ethos around literacy to encourage students to read for passion
- How to develop spelling and vocabulary in school using a differentiated spelling programme for all students
- How to track progress using reading ages across the school
- How to develop exciting ways to implement whole school literacy events
- How to develop whole-school classroom approaches to literacy
- How to measure improvements in impact
- How do we share best practice across the school
- How to help our pupils develop a ‘thirst for learning’
- Helping our pupils to be leaders of literacy
Raj Kang has been teaching biology, chemistry and physics for the last 18 years and has been part of the leadership team for the last 5 years. She is currently the Vice Principal at Lordswood Boys' School in Birmingham with oversight of literacy across the school. This has become transformational and Lordswood Boys' School has become a hub of excellence with astonishing progress in literacy.
Absolutely loved this course, especially being new to the post of whole school Literacy and Interventions.
Raj was professional, upbeat and very open about how they have implemented Literacy, especially reading, in her school. She has given us lots of practical strategies to trial out and I found the discussions helpful. I am definitely going to implement these strategies.
I thoroughly enjoyed this course. Raj clearly knows her stuff and the literacy she has shared with us was very valuable. I will be feeding back to my SLT next week.
Fantastic suggestions and tips. Very practical strategies that can be implemented across all different types of schools.
As Literacy Intervention Leader for my school, I'm feeling very inspired to actually make a difference.
Cost: £250 per delegate; £299 for 2 teachers from the same school booking on this course
We have a temporary problem with the booking form below.
To book your place, please email [email protected] with the title and date of the course along with your full name and school name.
The information will be used solely to process your booking. You can see further information on our privacy statement here.